Meet Flyte and UnionML at Hacktoberfest 2022
After a successful stint at Hacktoberfest 2021, Flyte is back at it once more! Last year, we were overwhelmed by the incredible number of contributions that came in from people all over the world. We had so much fun seeing all the pull requests and articles and we’re awaiting your love for Flyte this year, too!
And that’s not all. Adding to the fun, UnionML — a machine learning wrapper built on top of Flyte — has joined forces with Flyte at Hacktoberfest this year! This year, we're looking forward to meeting new contributors, old contributors, and everyone in between. Go check out the two repositories, get your contributions flowing, and win exciting swag!
You might also appreciate this new addition to this year’s version: We’ll be giving away ✨ O’REILLY's individual premium annual subscription worth $500 ✨ to one top contributor!
Flyte is an open-source data, ML and infrastructure workflow orchestration platform. With Flyte, you can seamlessly deploy ML and data pipelines in production with infrastructure abstraction and automation in place.
UnionML is an open-source MLOps framework that aims to reduce the boilerplate and friction that comes with building models and deploying them to production. Built on top of Flyte, UnionML provides a high-level interface for productionizing your ML models so that you can focus on curating a better dataset and improving your models.
Why you should contribute
Hacktoberfest is a month-long open-source celebration and GitHub's largest contributor drive. It's a great opportunity to get involved with the open-source community, learn something new and earn swag. No matter your expertise, you can be a part of Hacktoberfest.
If you're wondering why you should contribute to Hacktoberfest, Flyte and UnionML, here are three reasons:
- It's fun! Getting involved with the open-source community is an awesome experience and can be really rewarding. Ours is an active community, and we assure you that you’ll get to learn tons from it. Join our Slack to be a part of the Flyte & UnionML family!
- You'll learn something new! There are lots of ways to contribute: writing code, adding tutorials, fixing bugs, and so on. Flyte has already earned its place as a sophisticated workflow orchestration platform and contributing to it could help you gain access to the engineering know-hows. UnionML is a relatively new product but has a ton of scope to hone your ML + engineering skills.
- You'll get some swag! You can earn a limited edition swag every time you submit four pull requests (PRs) during the month of October — and there’s Flyte swag as well!
How to contribute
- Register anytime between September 26 and October 31 on the Hacktoberfest site.
- Pick any “hacktoberfest”-labeled issue.
- If you’re willing to work on it, leave a comment on the issue and get it assigned to you.
- Create a pull request and link it back to the issue. Once you’re comfortable with the process, feel free to contribute more! Also, create new issues and submit the concerning PRs if need be (make sure to add the “hacktoberfest” label to your issue). We admire creative minds!
Fill out this form after you create a pull request on or before Oct. 31, 2022.
Grand prize: O’REILLY's individual premium annual subscription worth $500 to one top contributor!
- 2 merged/accepted PRs: Mug
- 3 merged/accepted PRs or an article: T-shirt
- Plugin: Voucher
- 3+ merged/accepted PRs: The North Face® Jacket
- 2/3 merged/accepted PRs or an article: Voucher or Tumbler
- 3+ merged/accepted PRs: Hoodie
*Terms and conditions apply.
- How do I get started with Flyte?
If you’re new to Flyte, you can start with our docs. Join the #hacktoberfest-2022 Slack channel in case you’ve queries.
- I want a deeper dive into Flyte. Do you have tutorials?
Yes! Check our user guide and tutorials.
- What if my PR is small?
No contribution is ever too small! Every contributor gets a shout-out to remind them that we are grateful and value every contribution. PRs don’t have to be code-heavy; documentation improvements are welcome too!
- When will I receive my swag?
We’ll process all the swag shipments after Oct. 31, 2022. We can’t promise delivery dates, but expect to receive them in the last week of November or the first week of December.
- Anything else I need to know before contributing?
Strive to adhere to the contribution guidelines and hacktoberfest guidelines. If you’re new to Git and open source in general, refer to the resources recommended on the Hacktoberfest site.